I am a marketing and strategic communications professional with more than 25 years experience spanning multiple sectors including enterprise software, analytics, energy and utilities, publishing, and education.
Contact me today for a free consultation on marketing that motivates your prospects, funders and staff to act.
More About Me
I began my professional career as one of the first few hundred employees at Microsoft. For 11 years I worked there as a senior technical writer, writing manager, and program manager, focused mostly on Microsoft Excel. It was a fabulous place to start in life. I learned enough that I wish Microsoft granted diplomas.
After leaving Microsoft, I’ve focused more on infrastructure and the private sector.
- I was publisher and co-owner of The Local Planet Weekly, an alternative newsweekly in Spokane, Washington. We won numerous awards for our coverage, including national AAN awards for features, for our coverage of 9/11, and for media criticism, for our coverage of public/private finance involving Spokane’s daily Spokesman-Review newspaper.
- I worked for Itron, one of the leading global Smart Grid vendors. The energy industry is a complex world at a fascinating juncture. Itron’s marketing group and approach taught me much about brand, discipline, and execution. That’s another place I feel like I earned a diploma.
- I served as Strategic Communications Manager for WestEd, a nationwide non-profit agency for education research and service. Here I saw the power, possibility, and sometimes missed opportunity of marketing in public and social sectors.
- I was Senior Marketing Manager for Space-Time Insight, an analytics software company for big data and the Internet of Things.
- Currently I work as Director of Marketing for Great Place to Work. We are a leading human resources consultancy that researches and publishes the Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For.
I have a wide academic background:
- Executive MBA from the University of Nevada, Reno
- MFA in Writing from Eastern Washington University
- BA from Whitman College